There’s no place like home…

11 May

Hey all!  I was hoping to spend some time on the ole bloggy updating the layout.  Not so surprisingly, I totally didn’t have the time.  Good weekend, though.

I started writing this post Sunday night, now Tuesday night, I’ve got to play a little bit of catch up…

Friday was busy at work and the day went by quickly (a Friday that went quick?  Unheard of!) and after work I went and hung out with my parents. It’s so nice having them close enough that I can just drop by for few hours.  I left there around 9, but had to hang out on my own until Todd got home at 1130.  I caught up on some blogs (not my own of course) and watched two of my faves:  Criminal Minds and Diners, Drive Ins and Dives.  Oh ya, and I fell asleep.  For like 20 minutes.  It was the kind of sleep where you wake up feeling like crap.  Yay.  It was nice actually seeing Todd (awake) – a week is soooo long.  We chatted and called it a night around one – oh so late for me.

Saturday morning I woke up at 630 and my body said “5.5 hours of sleep is plenty for you!” It was definitely incorrect, but there was no way that I was going to get back to sleep.  So what do you do, when you can’t sleep and your husband is laying beside you?  Why, you wake them up of course!  Actually, I whispered that I was going to the gym (thinking that he could get some more sleep and I’d be productive).  How surprised was I, when he said that he was going to come with me!

One of my new obsessions.  Also a reason to be going to the gym early on a Saturday morning….


When we got back from the gym, we got cleaned up and had a tasty oatmeal breakfast,

   IMG_2814Todd was shocked to learn that I make oatmeal with milk.  Why use water when milk is sooooooo much better?!?! This is a 1/2 cup of oats with 3/4 skim milk, 1/2 banana, dried cherries and the last of my Chobani Greek yogurt.  I must say that I prefer Trader Joes Greek yogurt to Chobani.  I think it’s more tart and thicker.  Sadly, I’m all out and I probably won’t have anymore til I do a cross border shopping run.  Might not be for several weeks though – busy weekends coming up! 

When breakfast was done, we were out the door and off to the Heinz D and R.  I have no idea what D and R stands for, but we say ‘Dented and Rusted.’  It’s where everything that has something wrong with it goes.  It might have glue on the lid, or no label.  The product might be too thin, or just something they tried and didn’t sell.  We bought a case of ketchup, 2 cases of 500ml tomato juice, some spicy thai sauce, and a few things that I’m not remembering about.

We also got some chili beans.  They were .40 and looked really good.  There was a high sauce to bean ratio, so we opened a can of black beans and mixed it in.


Looks tasty, no?

We decided on the way home (we stopped by to say Happy Mother’s Day to Todd’s Mom on the way back…) that we were jonesing for burgers.  If I’m going to have a burger, it’s going to be a big fat juicy ‘look at me’  burger.  Todd made these burgers with extra lean ground beef, onion soup mix, garlic, red pepper flakes and some other things I can’t remember….

And the secret ingredient?  Charcoal!  Charcoal makes burgers go from awesome, to amazing!!!! 

We have a little portable barbecue that we’ve turned into a charcoal barbecue.  It works marvelously.


We just set it right onto out regular grill, light the charcoal and….



IMG_2830Doesn’t that look sooooo tasty?  My burger has tomato, onion, dill pickles, sprouts, relish, ketchup and coarse mustard.  And it’s on a burger bun!  I realized that I hadn’t eaten a burger bun in probably close to 2 years – I always use a sandwich thin.  The bun was different, but too bready – I think I prefer the sandwich thin route.  

Saturday evening was spent on the couch watching NASCAR, and falling asleep before it was over.  Surprise, surprise.  I had hoped to watch Betty White, but I was exhausted from the lack of sleep the night before.

Sunday morning was filled with cleaning and laundry – Woohoo!  In the afternoon, my Mom and Dad came over for some Mother’s Day cards and dice.  We had a great time, but unfortunately I didn’t take a single picture!

Picture taking resumed Monday morning with my soothing bowl of oats,

IMG_2838I doctored it up in a different way from the usual,

IMG_28401/2 cup of oats with peanut butter, craisins, hazelnuts and kefir.  Yum. 

Normally this would keep me satisfied until around 11 (I eat at 7).  This morning was a MAJOR exception.  At 8:30, I was already reaching for one of these guys,   


The apple was wonderful, but didn’t do anything for my hunger, even with a handful of almonds from my desk.  I then watched the clock for the next 4 hours until it was lunch time.  It was all I could do not to gobble this baby right up.


The most delicious whole wheat pita with hummus, sprouts, orange pepper, grape tomatoes, cheddar cheese and coarse mustard.  After I ate it, I wished there was a second one….

Instead I had some yummy grape tomatoes and carrots.  Unfortunately, all I wanted another one of those burgers from Saturday….


I can only imagine if I didn’t have the carby pita in my lunch…  I still enjoyed my usual,


This grapefruit was fantastic, as usual.

My hunger didn’t subside throughout the afternoon and I ate my pre-gym apple, hoping that my stomach would respond with some satiety.  Ummm, nope.

I was planning on going to the gym, but wasn’t even sure that this was possible with my stomach leading the way.  I used my noggin though and asked Todd to make me a half of a peanut butter and pumpkin butter sandwich, as I was picking him up on my way to the gym.  I think I had it finished before I even backed out of the driveway…

After the gym, we whipped up a stir fry together.


This yummy mess (notice the 2 sprouts that escaped…) had bean sprouts, broccoli, bamboo shots, celery, orange bell pepper, garlic, chicken, shrimp, spicy thai sauce (the one we bought from Heinz) and soy sauce.  It was a whole lot of yum.

I ate a whole lot of this, but unfortunately you don’t get to see it.  I accidentally deleted the wrong pic.  Oops.  Won’t do that again…well, here’s hoping.

Ok, I’m all caught up now.  Except for today’s eats and events of course.  However, I think I’ve blabbed on long enough and will make it a two-day post tomorrow.

See you then!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s