Regular posting is a much better idea…

10 Mar

Well, hello!!!

I have been absolutely exhausted and not wanting to post.  Wednesday and still tired from my race?  Ummm, no.  Sore still, yes.  I’ve been having a great time hanging out with Todd and sadly, the blog has suffered.  Sorry about that!  So of course, now I have a zillion pictures and this post seems a little daunting.

*Becky slaps herself on the wrist for not updating*

Ok, now that we’re past that…

Saturday morning came bright and early and Todd decided that he wanted bacon.  BACON!  Well, since it was being cooked, I thought, mmmm….

Two pieces of BACON with a sunny side up egg, complete with YOLK on a piece of 12-grain toast, with a side of pan fried potatoes.  Mmmm.  Not my usual breakfast, but a nice treat!  Oh, and there was probably a gallon of ketchup consumed with this.

After we ate this heavy and filling breakfast, we packed up the car and were off to Burlington.  Of course we packed lots of snacks for the journey, and for that sake, we packed lots of food for that day and the next.  No reason to buy food when there’s no need, or to eat crap out of necessity.  During the trip we snacked on whole wheat pasta with homemade sauce, tuna guac sandwiches and yummy coffee.  We also had a few pretzels and lots of water.  Apparently our breakfast wasn’t as filling as I thought it would be!  …in fact, Todd actually pulled over to get the cooler out of the back and within reaching distance because I was hungry a mere hour and a half into our journey.

I navigated us toward the expo where we picked up our race kits and got a better hold of where the course was.  We went back to the vehicle and looked through the mizuno backpack that had our race goodies.  Not a whole lot, and Todd got a bunch of things that I didn’t (must be his stunning good looks :P), but I love anything that’s free!  The long sleeve tech shirt that we got is the MOST shocking colour of flourescent yellow that I’ve ever seen and since it’s the ‘Chilly Half’ there was a bright red chili pepper adorning it (great combination of colours…).  But free I say!

From the expo we went to the mall to walk around.  Neither of us had any desire to actually go in any stores, but it was a good way to stretch a little and entertain ourselves for a half hour or so.  The mall got really boring, really quickly and we decided to drive the 15kms to Whole Foods!  This was my first trip to Whole Foods as there aren’t any close to my home.  Wow!  It was great!  I can imagine that a lot of paychecks could be spent there.  I managed to spend a mere 2.99 on a jar of sunflower seed butter.  Oh, and it was yummy!

From there we went to our hotel.  We were a little nervous about the room.  We booked it online and it had good reviews, but well, Todd and I are cheap.  And the room was cheap.  The room was $50 cheaper than the Travelodge where the race was sponsored.  I think that explains it well.  However, it had ok reviews and it was just renovated.  It also had a kitchenette, which we thought would be VERY helpful.  We figured that if it were horrible, that we would just get a different room somewhere else – no biggie.

We were pleasantly surprised.

It was small, and the renos looked like they were done by an eighth grader, but it was clean and it was relatively nice.

Our kitchenette, already well lived in,

And the other side of the room,

The fan is from home, we’re fans  (ok, I just wrote that and then laughed :P) of white noise when we sleep, so we’ll often bring a fan with us when we travel.  If you can see the tv, it actually says ‘ Oh, Snap!’  I have no idea why…

Hi Todd!

I took like 4 pictures and each time Todd had a funny face because he was eating his sub.  This looks like a half smile/smirk, but it’s actually a mid-chew.  Speaking chewing,

Subway!  This was our dinner and is ham on 9-grain.  Yum!  And me trying to look nonchalant,

If you look in the background, you’ll see my pillow, because we bring these from home too.

We went back downtown to get the lay of the land and scope out the parking situation and the area where the race actually was to start.  The organizers warned everyone that there wasn’t a lot of parking, so there were lots of shuttle buses to transport people to the race.  We wanted our vehicle to be close though, so we hoped to look for a few parking options.  We found lots of parking!  We even found a free lot that was about 100 feet from where the start line would be!  We scoped out a few others just in case this was full and went back to the hotel to retire for the night.

The hotel had free internet, and decent tv, so we had a great time just hangin out like any other night :)  Amazingly I didn’t feel nervous at all.  As is evidenced by this picture:

and this picture:

Around midnight, we went to bed.  I expected to sleep like crud, but slept nearly straight through!  We got up at seven and started getting ready for our day!  I ate this right away,

An eggpuck on a toasted one bun with pepper and ketchup.  Yum.  We walked outside and were pleased to see that it was sunny and already 2 degrees.  The forecast said that it would be around 5 or 6 degrees by the start of the race and 10 by the time I was done.  Perfect.  We packed up the room and I ate some tuna guac on another half of a onebun.  We checked out and made our way downtown.  We easily got a spot in the lot we wanted and had an hour and a half before the race started.  Perfect.  We walked around a little, I visited the port-o-potties no less than 3 or 4 times, we stretched and before we knew it, it was time to lineup for the race!

Todd lined up in the 1:30-2:00 area, and I went way to the back to the 2:30 plus area.  When the race started, I wasn’t nervous at all.  The way the route was, Todd and I would pass each other twice – once when I was at 1.5 miles and once when I was just past 6 miles.  Todd picked me out right away and it was good to see him.  At about 3 miles, my left foot started to really bother me.  Earlier in the week both of my arches were sore and I have no idea why.  This continued, but the pain continued up my foot toward my big toe.  I tried to ignore it.  Just after 6 miles I met Todd again and he had some encouraging words.  I needed them – my foot was VERY sore.  Around 8 miles, I had to walk.  This was devastating for me.  Since I realized that I could run 3 miles without stopping, I have NEVER walked again.  Getting over myself, I regrouped, walked a bit and then continued running.  Both feet hurt by this time and I had to start walking every mile or so.  And then every 10 minutes, and then every 5 minutes.  Frustration.  But I wasn’t going to let my feet get the better of me so on I ran!

I kept watching my time increase and my pace increase and began to get quite disappointed.  I wanted to be done in 2:45, figured I’d be done in 2:50, but realized as the miles ticked along that with this walking, I would likely be plus 3.  This was crushing and there were nearly a few tears shed.  But I had to remain positive, and this was my first half.  I’m not a fast runner (obvi!) and having this experience would only make next time that much easier.

I ended up finishing in 3:01:04.  Very disappointed.  I even hate writing that.  But also, VERY PROUD!!!!  I did it!!!!

Here I am, running up the final hill looking slightly askew,

And some random stranger helping me along for the final few metres, with excruciating pain in my feet,

And me crossing the finish line.  That would be my gun time…  Took me more than 5 mins to get to the start line at the beginning.

And an exhausted looking me as I walk over to Todd,

During my last 5 miles, I kept seeing this same woman on the side of the road that must have been cheering for someone just behind me.  She’d cheer for me, then half a mile later I’d see her again, where she’d have more encouraging words.  I saw her as I was walking over to see Todd and thanked her for all of her help.

The medal has running chili peppers all offer it and was very cute.  Here’s a blurry pic of the medal and the finish line,

After this we changed and walked over to the chili party.  I understand that it’s a play on words and that it’s sponsored by Stagg Chili – but I must say that it’s the last thing that I wanted to eat.  I didn’t think my digestive system could take it.

I drank some juice and ate the roll, but that was all I could manage.  Todd enjoyed all of the chili.  After this we hopped in the car and headed home.  We ate some mini eggs and the rest of the tuna guac and I enjoyed my favourite post run fuel,

Chocolate milk in a mason jar.  Look at that beautiful sunshine!  On the long journey home, we decided what we wanted as our post race indulgence:


When it comes in a box like this, you know it has to be good:

I think I lasted until a whopping 1030 and then it was lights out for me!  A very productive, exciting and emotional day.  Oh, and guess what – I’m signed up for another half in only 5 weeks!  Eeek!

I’ll be back tomorrow for another long post to get caught up…  :)


3 Responses to “Regular posting is a much better idea…”

  1. beyondbennett March 10, 2010 at 9:45 pm #

    You are totally, utterly, with a cherry on top AMAZING! Might I add, stupid feet arches!! What a time for that to pop up! I hope they don’t give you any hardships for the next race (in 5 weeks??? you’re awesome!). (Todd’s pretty great too — I thought I’d give him a rah-rah cheer too!! Yay!) You guys totally earned that ‘za — it looked like it was phenomenal (and I shall forget about it now…oh, so tempting…). Thanks for the fabulous update!! :)

  2. beyondbennett March 10, 2010 at 9:46 pm #

    Oh, look at my wonderful grammar above… I mean ‘stupid foot arches’. Lack of food makes my brain silly.

  3. rollerkoesterrun March 11, 2010 at 5:19 pm #

    My fiance HAS to sleep with a fan on! I never did before, but now he has me used to it :)

    Great job on the race!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s